Thursday, May 1, 2008

It's times like these that I love being a dork

I just saw Iron Man and all I can say is wow. The nerd inside of me was jonesing for this movie so bad. I've always had a passing fascination with Iron Man, which I think helped put me in the perfect mindset for this movie. It wasn't my beloved Spider-Man or Green Lantern, it was just a really cool hero that seemed to have a great origin and possible story line.

What made the movie so perfect was the fact that it stayed true to the comics. Not so much in a story sense (all though it seemed to be pretty spot on from what little I knew), but in a comic book sense. It was like watching the comic book come to life in a movie, because for once, someone took the source material seriously and did what comic books have always tried to do - make the impossible real. From the beginning, comics were about telling impossible stories, fiction, made to entertain. And all this super hero stuff has held up over the years for the same reason The Lord of The Rings and so so many other great works of literature and fiction have - because it made the thoughts and dreams of someones imagination real and it connected with someone.

If people can connect with something, then it's golden. That's why there are nerds and dorks that just love this stuff - that's why I love this stuff. You can connect to it. I can connect with some movies and characters and heroes and villians and made up things more than I can with a lot of people. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I think it's a good thing. I have a huge imagination and I love stories and the endless possibilities that they bring.

This movie made Iron Man "possible." It made Tony Stark a real person, Stark industries a real company, Obediah a real person/villian, the world and all the problems that filled it, all the people, were real. Even if it was only for two hours, it was real.

And that's all us nerds have ever wanted. Was for something cool, something we can connect with, something we can relate to or just be in awe of, real. It's like fireworks or butterflies or waterfalls or stars - it's amazing and spectacular and for it to be real, even close to real, is a treat.

Aside from all that, Iron Man was just a bad ass movie with enough nods to the dorks to make it great. Faverou or whatever his name is (I'm to lazy to look it up right now) is a genious - he handled this movie perfectly and as far as I'm concerned, neither he nor anyone else could have done better. My hat is off to him and I hope other film makers will follow suit.

STAY TILL AFTER THE CREDITS!!!! That's the most awesome thing I've seen on film since Yoda went all bad ass. Just to hear his voice and to see his face (and the eye patch, and the scar!!), oh my God, I know it's silly but it made me feel the same way some sports nut feels when his favorite teams scores the game winning touchdown or when Lebron just dunks on somebody and everybody is like "Oh man, did you see that, that was awesome!!" and they high five and spill their beer. Yeah, that's how I felt when I saw Nick freakin Fury standing in Starks home, talking about the Avengers. The freakin AVENGERS DUDE!!!!

No comments: